They may sometimes appear unconcerned by our presence, but all park animals are unpredictable and potentially dangerous.
Always keep your distance.
Do not approach or entice wildlife. Use binoculars or a telephoto lens instead.
Remain at least:
- 100 metres (10 bus lengths) away from BEARS, COUGARS and WOLVES
- 30 metres (3 bus lengths) away from ELK, DEER, SHEEP, GOATS and MOOSE
Never leave food attractants out for wildlife.
Food attractants include:
- coolers (they are NOT bearproof!)
- food scraps or leftovers
- dirty dishes, pots or barbecues
- empty bottles, cans or wrappers
- toothpaste, soap or other toiletries
- pet food dishes (full or empty)
Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Because it is impossible to predict how wildlife will react in any situation, avoiding encounters is the only sure way to keep people safe and wildlife wild.
- Always be on the lookout for animals or signs of their presence.
- Carefully supervise children whenever outdoors.
Source: Parks Canada